Travel is important. New experiences and connections bring us closer and break down barriers. But it can come at a cost to our planet and its people.
Our Travel Sustainable Program is designed to champion the efforts of our partners. By bringing properties like yours and sustainability-minded travelers closer, we’ll work together for a better tomorrow.
About the Travel Sustainable Program
In order to make sustainable choices easier for everyone, we’ve created the Travel Sustainable Program. It’s designed to offer you externally validated support – no matter where you’re at in your sustainability journey.
Indicate whether or not you carry out each of these practices at your property and your sustainability practices will be shown on your property page. They’re divided into five categories:
- Reduce waste
- Reduce energy and greenhouse gases
- Use less water
- Support your local community
- Protect nature
How the application process works
Property submits their practices
The property management uses the Booking.com extranet to submit which sustainable practices they are following.
An assessment is conducted
An assessment of the property’s submitted practices is performed against an independently validated criteria model, which considers geographic factors related to accessibility and costs to implement certain practices. Based on this assessment, the model calculates an overall impact score for the property, which determines eligibility.
The property is notified
The property management will receive an email with the assessment outcome within 24 hours of submitting their practices. If the impact score is high enough, the property will receive the badge, which will automatically be added to its listing within two weeks.
Qualifying sustainable practices
In order to qualify for a Travel Sustainable Program, the property must practice a significant number of initiatives in the following categories:
Simple efforts, like washing towels less often, save significant energy and water.
Offer recycling options and cut down on plastic and food leftovers to make a big impact.
Respect local wildlife and nurture the accommodation’s green spaces.
Energy and greenhouse gasses
Minimize operational emissions with measures like switching to renewable energy.
Destination and community
Promote local small businesses, such as tour guides or restaurants.
- Single-use plastic miniature shampoo, conditioner, and body wash bottles not used
- Option to reuse towels
- Option to opt-out of daily room cleaning
- Water-efficient toilets
- Water-efficient showers
- Single-use plastic straws not used
- Single-use plastic cups not used
- Single-use plastic water bottles not used
- Single-use plastic beverage bottles not used
- Single-use plastic cutlery/plates not used
- Single-use plastic stirrers not used
- Recycling bins available to guests and recycling of waste
- The property making efforts to reduce their food wastage
- Water cooler/dispenser
- Bicycle rental
- Wild (non-domesticated) animals are not displayed/interacted with while captive on the property or harvested, consumed, or sold
- Green spaces such as gardens/rooftop gardens on the property
- Most food provided is organic
- Key card or motion-controlled electricity
- Most food provided at the property is locally sourced
- Most lighting throughout property uses energy-efficient LED bulbs
- All windows are double-glazed
- Offsets a portion of their carbon footprint
- 100% renewable electricity used throughout
- Invest a percentage of revenue back into community projects or sustainability projects
- Tours and activities organized by local guides and businesses offered
- Local artists are offered a platform to display their talents
- Provide guests with information regarding local ecosystems, heritage and culture, as well as visitor etiquette
Third party certifications can be reported through Booking.com extranet and are taken into account to be part of the program:
- Green Tourism
- EU Ecolabel
- Green Seal
- Nordic Swan Ecolabel
- Green Hospitality Ecolabel
- Ibex Fairstay
- Fair Trade Tourism
- All certifications accredited or recognised by the GSTC