Culture and arts take a backseat to beaches and nature as Vietnam dreams of returning to travel
- Most people intend to travel within 2-4 months of restrictions lifting (27%)
- 14% will take a trip within the first month of travel restrictions lifting, with 5% traveling immediately
- Top incentives to get back to travel are #1 Special inclusive offers, #2 Local travel deals and #3 Cash back and loyalty incentives
- Chilling at beaches or in nature and spending quality time with family/friends are the two top purposes to travel again
Beach and nature-centric travel spots are set to benefit from the lifting of travel restrictions in the country according to Agoda’s Return to Travel survey released today. Chilling at the beach or in nature pipped spending quality time with the family to the top spot for the main purpose to travel again. To enjoy the convenience of city life and savouring some good food are 3rd and 4th respectively.
Vietnamese post-lockdown travel intentions were polled among respondents across the country, with four in 10 ready and willing to travel within four months of lockdowns lifting.
Vietnamese travel intentions
About 14 percent of travelers expect to head off on their next voyage within the first month of the removal of restrictions, with five percent saying that they can’t wait to get the bags packed and get out the door immediately thereafter. Over a quarter said they will only wait 2-4 months for the pandemic dust-to-settle, while 16% have said that they plan to wait until vaccination rates reach 80% and the nation hits herd immunity before they will book their next getaway.
- Folks from Danang are double the country average likely to travel immediately (11%)
- Hanoian’s (17%) have the highest intent to travel within a month on removal of restrictions, compared to other major cities like Ho Chi Minh City (13%), Can Tho (5%)
- Vietnamese in Can Tho are most likely to travel within 2-4 months (35%), followed by Haiphong (32%) in Hanoi (30%) and Ho Chi Minh City (29%)
Key motivators to travel domestically in the future: #1 Special value-add offers, #2 Local travel deals and #3 Cash back and loyalty incentives
Appealing deals and packages seem to be the primary motivator for travelers to get back on the road, with 37% of respondents citing appealing special offers that include either F&B, spa or excursion value-adds, and a further 25% saying great local travel deals will help unlock the key to their next vacation. Flexible booking terms ranked as the third incentive, reflecting that respondents are conscious of the way in which the past year has upended previous itineraries.
Women are more motivated to make travel decisions by special accommodation offers including add on booking features like F&B, spa and room tier upgrades at 42%, compared to men at 33%.
Main purpose for first vacation after lockdowns ease
Close to a third of respondents highlighted a desire to get back to nature or chill at the beach with their next trip, possibly as a direct result of being homebodies in the big cities for three months. ‘Quality time with family’ took second spot as a key purpose for respondents’ next trip, with the social distancing period meaning that it has been a long time between visits for family members in other cities, provinces or regions.
“Vietnam has bounced back and recovered quickly multiple times over the past year. We see the largest optimism within Vietnamese (41%) to travel domestically within four months of restrictions easing, and will continue to use our technology to make it even easier for people to do so.
Vietnamese can choose from our pandemic-friendly travel options to cater to their every need, may it be HygienePlus for their safety needs, GoLocal for domestic travel deals, or Agoda Special Offers, to make the most of their trip with value adds like food and beverage, activities or entertainment value adds.” said Enric Casals, Regional Vice President, Southeast Asia and Oceania.